Here are some statistics according to Score that should get your attention:
- The lowest-ranking employee in a business can lose more customers than can be gained by the highest-ranking employee.
- In the average business, for every customer who bothers to complain, 26 others remain silent.
- The average wronged customer will tell 8 to 16 people (about 10 percent will tell more than 20 people).
- Ninety one percent of unhappy customers will never purchase good or services from you again.
- If you make an effort to remedy customer’s complaints, 82 to 95 percent of them will stay with you.
- It costs about five time as much to attract a new customer as it does to keep an existing one.
I recommend that we take the L.E.A.D.
Listen, Learn and Then Lead – Ask questions and learn about their issues. Help them know that you want to understand their situation. Let them vent if they need to.
Empathize – We all have heard the expression… “Know one cares how much you know till they know how much you care.” I would add to that…..”It does not cost you anything to care.” It is difficult to be rude for very long to someone who is warm, friendly and wants to help you.
Accept and Acknowledge – Accept total responsibility for their situation. You may not have caused the problem, but to the customer you are your company. Acknowledge the person’s situation, come along beside them and reassure them that you want to help.
Develop a plan to solve the problem – Include the customer in the solution if needed, but you lead the charge in finding solutions. As a customer, I have been far more upset with companies who don’t try than with companies who can’t fix my particular issues.
If you follow this method you may not make all upset customers happy, but you will have a good chance to save the day and be a hero to many of them.
I can offer training for your team on delivering and leading excellent customer service. Learn More @ https://philvanover.wordpress.com/services/ or contact me for more details @ PhilVanover@johnmaxwellgroup.com
Phil is one of only one thousand leaders worldwide (representing nearly 100 countries) to be trained and certified by John C. Maxwell & his team, as part of the founder’s circle of coaches, speakers and teachers. http://www.johncmaxwellgroup.com/philvanover/
Phil works with organizations and individuals to increase sales, productivity and profitability by helping them improve their leadership, sales and customer service skills. He offers workshops, seminars, speaking, and coaching on delivering extraordinary customer service, leadership, and personal development.