Peter Drucker, one of the best-known and most widely influential thinkers and writers on the subject of management theory and practice, has been quoted as saying “A company’s primary responsibility is to serve its customers. Profit is not the primary goal, but rather an essential condition for the company’s continued existence.”
Franklin Roosevelt once said “If you treat people right they will treat you right — ninety percent of the time.” And Barbara Bush admonished us to “Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people – your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way.”
My mentor John Maxwell says that “Leadership is influence, nothing more nothing less.”
So what does this tell us? To me it says that business is about people. The people who work there, the people that they serve and the people who lead them are what will make or break an organization.
Business is no longer about who has the lowest price, or even the biggest market share.” Business is now built on relationships and how we treat our employees, our customers and our peers.
What can you do as a leader?
- Take responsibility for your own personal development. Focus on leadership, communications and becoming a person who intentionally connects with others.
- Lead by example. Set the standards then meet of exceed them yourself.
- Don’t just offer to help, really help. Never make people beg for your assistance as their leader.
- Ask yourself daily, Who and How can I add value today?
- Always value attitude over talent. Give me will over skill. I will take a team of average talent over a handful of super stars any day of the week.
- Remember “It’s about the people stupid”
To become more than “the boss” people follow only because they are required to, you have to master the ability to invest in people and inspire them. I can help you do just that through training, group and individual coaching and speaking at your event. Please leave your comments and if I can add value to you or your organization please contact me.
One of only one thousand leaders worldwide (representing nearly 100 countries) to be trained and certified by John C. Maxwell & his team, as part of the founder’s circle of trainers, coaches and speakers. As a John Maxwell Certified Coach, Teacher and Speaker, he can offer you workshops, seminars, speaking, and coaching, aiding your personal and professional growth through study and practical application of John’s proven leadership methods.